Select your field of interest to join your peers in exploring IT marketing trends, ideas, insights, and resources worldwide. You must Register to participate in interactive features.
Market Research • Product Marketing • Storage
IT Brand Pulse, a trusted source of data and analysis about IT infrastructure, today announced the results ofthe August 2012 Brand Leader Survey devoted entirely to Solid-State Device (SSD) storage products.
The SSD market is an emerging market experiencing red-hot growth, but highly fragmented with dozens of specialized products and hundreds of vendors. Survey respondents were asked which vendors they perceive as the leader in ten product categories: All Flash SAN SSD Systems, All DRAM SAN SSD Systems, All Flash NAS SSD Systems, Unified SAN/NAS SSD Systems, SAS/SATA SSD Modules, PCIe SSD (not cache), Cache SSD (SW and HW), NAS Cache Appliances, Hybrid SSD/HDD Storage Systems, SSD Controller Chips. For each category, respondents chose the brand leader in Market, Price, Performance, Reliability, Service & Support, and Innovation.
“Today, SSD technology is very specialized, and the emerging market is very fragmented”, said Frank Berry, CEO of IT Brand Pulse. “This is highlighted by the fact that seven different companies were selected as market leaders in 10 different SSD product categories.”
- IT perceptions showed LSI (Sandforce) as the Market Leader in SSD Controller Chips. LSI also posted wins in the Price and Innovation categories, while Intel was the choice of end users in Performance, Reliability and Service & Support. Intel was the second top vote-getter in the Market category followed by Samsung.
“LSI SandForce helped pioneer the volume deployment of SSDs for enterprise, client and cloud computing by raising the bar on SSD performance, endurance and power efficiency with our award-winning SandForce® Flash Storage Processors,” said Thad Omura, vice president of marketing, Flash Components Division, LSI Corporation. “LSI’s selection by IT professionals as the market and innovation leader is validation of our sustained technology leadership and unique total solution approach for accelerating time-to-market for SSD manufacturers.”
- Extending its product category dominance in the survey, Nimbus Data emerged as the Market Leader in Unified SAN/NAS SSD Systems and led the way in Price,Performance, Reliability, Service & Support, and Innovation. Whiptail was ranked second in Market above third place winner, Skyera.
“We are thrilled to receive IT rand Pulse awards and recognition for both Nimbus and the rapidly-growing solid state industry,” stated Scott Kline, Director of Corporate Communications of Nimbus Data Systems. “Our early vision to design this unified and truly purpose built flash platform has allowed us the versatility and flexibility to offer best-in-class all-flash primary storage systems. This unique architecture has helped our customers overcome longstanding challenges they have faced with regards to virtualization, databases and efficiency in both the datacenter and enterprise.”
- In the All Flash SAN SSD Systems survey, Texas Memory Systems captured the Market Leader award; took top spots in Performance, Reliability, and Service & Support and tied in the categories of Price (with Next IO) and Innovation (3-way tie with Pure Storage and Violin Memory). Respondents chose NextIO as the Market Leader runner-up.
- Texas Memory Systems continued its high-profile presence in this month’s survey by sweeping all six categories in DRAM SAN SSD Systems. Kaminiario and Kovewere the second-and third-place finishers, respectively, in Market, Price, Performance, Reliability, Service& Support and Innovation.
- Voting in the All Flash NAS SSD Systems revealed Nimbus Data as the leader in Market and the five other categories (Price, Performance, Reliability, Service& Support and Innovation). Whiptail came in second in all categories and Skyera was the third pick.
- Intel was selected as the Market Leader for SAS/SATA SSD Modules and as the top brand in all five remaining categories. Seagate finished behind Intel inPerformance, Reliability, Service & Support, and Innovation but it was OCZ Technology which took the runner-up spot in Price leadership.
- In the PCIe SSD (not cache) survey, brand leadership was split with Fusion-io ranking number one in Market, Performance, and Innovation, and Intel heading up thePrice, Reliability, and Service & Support categories. Each finished behind the other in the opposing category, with SanDisk placing third across the board.
- IT professionals voted EMC as Market Leader for Cache SSD (SW and HW) and in four of the five remaining categories; giving the Innovation award to Fusion-io. Fusion-io was ranked second in every category except for a tie with SanDisk in Price, and a third place spot behind NetApp in Service & Support. SanDisk came in at number three for Market Leader.
- Respondents ranked EMC number one in Hybrid SSD/HDD Storage Systems for Market, Performance and Reliability, but handed the Price award to Dell, and theService & Support and Innovation categories to IBM. NetApp secured second place as Market Leader with HP rounding out third.
- Cache IQ landed the Market Leader title in NAS Cache Appliances and was at the top in Price, Reliability, and Service & Support. Violin Memory captured both thePerformance and Innovation brand awards and finished second in all other categories.
About the Brand Leader Surveys
IT Brand Pulse Brand Leader surveys are designed to measure the pulse of brand leadership in specific product categories. IT professionals respond to one survey covering various products. Within each product category, respondents choose the overall market leader, as well as the leader in price, performance, reliability, service and support, and innovation.VN:R_U [1.9.7_1111]SSD Brand Leaders Revealed in Fragmented Market,
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Earn a $5.00 gift card every time you recommend a 5-Star service provider! Click here
For Mobile & Wireless professionals:
OEM's top-rated vendors:
Most recent job openings:
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Marketing Manager/Mobile Category Symantec Mountain View, CA, USA
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Manager (741739) Microsoft Corporation Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Director of Field Marketing Confidential Belcamp, MD, USA
- Posted April 27 WW Field Marketing Operations Manager Microsoft Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Marketing Operations Sr. Advisor Dell NH, Nashua, USA