Select your field of interest to join your peers in exploring IT marketing trends, ideas, insights, and resources worldwide. You must Register to participate in interactive features.
Advertising • Mktg Communications • Product Marketing
Recently, Arketi hosted a Lunch & Learn session with a small group of PR and marketing executives from Atlanta-based technology companies. Our guest speakers were from GigaOM — one of the most credible and insightful voices at the intersection of business and technology.
During the invitation-only luncheon, we heard from Allison Parker, director of corporate communications for GigaOM, Neil Schuster, business development consultant for GigaOM Research, and Jack Brown, vice president of sales at GigaOM.
They shared with attendees the latest news from the GigaOM family. We hope you know GigaOM, but in case you do not, here’s the rundown.
Since 2006, GigaOM (www.gigaom.com) has grown into the leading independent voice on emerging technologies and the disruption of media. The GigaOM news network’s online audience of 5.5 million monthly unique readers relies on its definitive coverage of cloud, mobile, clean-tech, consumer web and media. GigaOM Events bring together the people innovating, shaping and defining the ongoing evolution of the technology industry. GigaOM Pro offers the highest quality research and analysis of emerging technology markets and the companies making a difference in those sectors.
Allison, Neil and Jack shared with the group how technology companies can tap into the editorial, events and research opportunities offered by GigaOM. We are going to share some of our learning from this session with you, our blog readers, over the next week or so.
Let’s start with editorial. Allison was nice enough to share with us 10 tips for PR people looking to get some GigaOM ink. Here they are:
1) Read our site and understand how we cover the business of technology. Look at our editorial team bios and click through to see your target reporter’s latest tweets, latest stories and a list of the topics they cover. Really get to know their style.
2) Bring us a market opportunity. We don’t do product reviews or consumer-focused stories. We care about how an emerging technology will upend an industry or how old technology is being used in a new way to create an entirely new market.
3) GigaOM is one of few sites that really cares about the “geeked out technology” part of your story. We want to know about the disruptive part of the technology and how it’s disrupting a market.
4) Check to see if we’ve covered your company before and then pitch that reporter. If not, send your pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will get routed to the right person.
5) Stick to email, not the phone. We all use cell phones and don’t have a general office land line. If a reporter wants to follow up, he/she call you for more information.
6) If you have news, send it all in one email rather than sending a teaser. We’re a lot less likely to respond to a teaser and more likely to respond to the whole story.
7) Write shorter pitches, and send them only once. If you *must* resend, reply to the original email so we have it all in one thread.
Please don’t send us schwag.
9) Play fair with us on embargoes and exclusives and we will play fair with you. Be honest with us.
10) Last, but definitely not least… be interesting! If you don’t believe your pitch has legs, then neither will we.
We hope this information from Allison helps you earn some ink for your technology company. Next blog post will cover how to navigate GigaOM Events.
Mike Neumeier is Principal at Arketi Group. Arketi Group is a public relations and digital marketing firm that helps business-to-business technology organizations accelerate growth through intelligent strategy, public relations, messaging, branding and demand generation.VN:R_U [1.9.7_1111]10 Tips for PR Pros Seeking GigaOM Placements,
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Earn a $5.00 gift card every time you recommend a 5-Star service provider! Click here
For Marketing Operations professionals:
Social Media Marketing's top-rated vendors:
Most recent job openings:
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Marketing Manager/Mobile Category Symantec Mountain View, CA, USA
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Manager (741739) Microsoft Corporation Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Director of Field Marketing Confidential Belcamp, MD, USA
- Posted April 27 WW Field Marketing Operations Manager Microsoft Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Marketing Operations Sr. Advisor Dell NH, Nashua, USA