Select your field of interest to join your peers in exploring IT marketing trends, ideas, insights, and resources worldwide. You must Register to participate in interactive features.
Home Page • Sales Enablement • Social Media Marketing • Telemarketing
I’ve been involved in sales since I first started canvassing door to door for a home improvement company when I was in high school. At times, the things I have heard colleagues say make me wonder why they are involved with sales.
With that said, I came up with my Top 10 quotes I’ve heard from people in sales that may want to consider a new career path.
10. “My targets are all C-level or VP level execs. They never answer the phone, so I just send emails” – By not picking up the phone you miss out on the opportunity to be directed to a more appropriate contact. Chances are the Executive Administrator will be happy to direct you somewhere else.
9. “I view Social Media as a Social Nuisance!” Whether you agree or not, Social Media has cemented it’s place in the B2B environment. If you are not taking advantage, I know your competition is!
8. “My scripts have always worked in the past and I see no reason to change them now” – An inability to adapt and adjust is a major flaw in any industry and sales is not excluded. I’m willing to assume that #1 on the leaderboard adjusts their pitch regularly and specific to their prospect.
7. “I usually just wing it!” – Preparedness is one of the most important aspects of any conversation. People won’t respect your time if you don’t respect theirs!
6. “I’m not good at public speaking” – Being comfortable enough to speak in front of strangers and lead a conversation is an important skill set for any rep. If this concerns you, then time to try another industry.
5. “I didn’t ask for the referal because I felt uncomfortable” – Not taking advantage of your time with a prospect is a wasted opportunity.
4. “I like the sound of my own voice” – The best sales person knows when to talk and when to listen. Younger sales professionals seem too eager to fill the awkward silence when, chances are, your prospect needs the opportunity to digest the information you provided, or just think of a response to your question.
3. “I’ll take any appointment” – Qualifying your prospects means your aren’t wasting their time or yours. Too many times I see reps assume they have an opportunity just because someone offered them 5 minutes of their time.
2. “I am afraid that someone will say “NO”” – What’s the average now, 6 no’s for 1 yes? If you are afraid of hearing “no”, you certainly don’t belong in sales.
And the #1 quote from a bad sales rep….
1. “When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Police Officer” – Ok, so nobody grows up saying they “want to be a Enterprise Account Executive”, but when you hear someone discussing what they “wanted to be”, then they are probably settling for their position and won’t be happy in the future.
Look…I get it, sales is not for everyone, and that’s fine, but if you want to be successful in sales, don’t take advice from these reps!VN:R_U [1.9.7_1111]My Top 10 Quotes From Bad Sales Reps,
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Earn a $5.00 gift card every time you recommend a 5-Star service provider! Click here
For Field Marketing professionals:
Storage's top-rated vendors:
Most recent job openings:
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Marketing Manager/Mobile Category Symantec Mountain View, CA, USA
- Posted May 4 Senior Product Manager (741739) Microsoft Corporation Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Director of Field Marketing Confidential Belcamp, MD, USA
- Posted April 27 WW Field Marketing Operations Manager Microsoft Redmond, WA, USA
- Posted April 27 Marketing Operations Sr. Advisor Dell NH, Nashua, USA